Emdom-MM Dump Pouch
The Emdom-MM Dump Pouch is another collaborative effort between Emdom USA and MM from www.militarymorons.com. It is an innovative, medium sized, drop hip, expandable, non-foldable dump pouch. The Emdom-MM Dump Pouch is made of mil-spec 1000 D Cordura nylon ---- a nylon fabric that is light-weight, yet can provide sufficient stiffness and resistance to abrasion and water.
A spent mag dump pouch has one contradictory requirement: you want a non-obstructed opening for fast dumping, yet you want to keep the contents from falling out when moving. The challenge of the design is to provide a balance between these two factors. To achieve the goal, Emdom-MM started from MM’s basic design, repeatedly tested and revised each prototype until satisfied with the end result.
A non-obstructed opening that stays open: The Emdom-MM Dump Pouch has a large, stiffened / structured rounded-rectangular opening for easy dumping of mags. There is no shock cord, or overlapping elastic obstructing the opening. Dumping spent mags is completely straight-forward with no elastic opening or flap to contend with. Also, the opening is set 3” below the mounting panel to clear the bottom of a body armor / vest, facilitating “hip position dumping”.
To reduce swinging and sagging of the pouch when loaded, the rear of the pouch is supported by an 8” tall HDPE stiffened panel. The first 3” of the back of the stiffened panel is the short Malice Clip webbing Matrix, for mounting to MALICE / PALS / ALICE system or duty belt up to 3" wide. The bottom 5” of the stiffened panel extends down, forming the backbone of the pouch. This design reduces, side-to-side swinging, and bouncing of the pouch during movement. The stiffened panel does not get in the way when sitting as it is flexible and doesn’t extend below your butt level.
Expandable storage space: The Emdom-MM dump pouch is 7” wide, 3” deep, and 9” tall. Emdom-MM found anything smaller was just too small, and a larger one is heavy, and could swing a lot when loaded. The Emdom-MM dump pouch fits both AK and M4 mags, with or without ranger plates / rubber Magpuls. By placing the mags vertically, side by side, the pouch can hold six AK mags and seven M4 mags. However, under actual use, the mags are placed randomly and take up more space than when neatly inserted. Therefore, Emdom-MM added two special vertical expansion pleats into the pouch body for expansion. The additional storage space also helps to accommodate bulky or odd shaped items. Importantly, additional storage space is gained, without increasing the size of the opening or the height of the pouch. Lastly, there is a drainage grommet at the bottom for maritime operations.
Retain the contents during movement: The Emdom-MM Dump Pouch features an innovative detachable half cover. In a series of experiments, Emdom-MM found that most objects are shaken / fallen out from the outside half of the opening (the side away from user’s body). It is because during movement, objects in the dump pouch are bouncing around a pivot (the attach point of the pouch). Objects that are far away from the pivot are more likely to be bounced out from the pouch. By creating a cover and placing it over the outside half of the opening keeps the contents in the pouch. Upon further experiments with different cover sizes, Emdom-MM found that half coverage provided the best balance between security and easy access for both insertion and extraction by hand. The half cover is detachable; it is securely Velcroed at the opening by 4 straps of Velcro. For additional security on the inside half of the opening, Emdom-MM made a protruding inner lip located 3” below the pouch opening to discourage items from bouncing out, or sliding out when in the prone position.
For user who wants to close the pouch more completely, there is a heavy duty snap closure located at the outside rim of the pouch opening. The snap compresses the opening at the middle and essentially closes it. A long pull tag is provided for easy un-snapping by a single gloved hand.
Field report: Over the past six months, MM has used the pouch on duty belts / Crye blast belt, and rigs in various drills involving running, kneeling, and different shooting positions, and has not had any items fall out. The pouch does bounce vertically when full during running (which is reduced by the stiffness of the material), but the side to side swing was significantly reduced because of the stiffened panel. Operation is extremely easy and straight forward as there is no obstruction at the opening: Hold the mag, place it at the stiffened panel, and just let it drop into the pouch. The drop hip design requires no over-flexion of the elbow and over-extension of the shoulder, facilitating fast dumping and allows the user’s hand to get back to the shooting position faster. The snap closure works well with gloves. Emdom and MM are very happy with the dump pouch, and hope that it will serves our customers well.
Requires two short MALICE clips (not included).
· Innovative non-folding dump pouch, PALS belt and web belt compatible.
· Constructed of 1000 Denier mil-spec Cordura nylon. Light weight yet provides sufficient protection to the contents, and stiffness to prevent twisting / collapsing.
· Medium size: 7” wide x 3” deep, x 9” tall. Weight: 6.6 oz.
· Drop hip design. Opening is set below beltline to clear body armor, or tactical vest, facilitating easier access.
· HDPE stiffened rounded/rectangular opening. Always stays open for fast access without sag.
· HDPE stiffened back panel (8” tall). The backbone of the pouch, supporting the opening from sagging, and significantly reduces bouncing and side swing during movements.
· Innovative half cover (detachable) covers the outside half of the opening, limiting contents falling out.
· Internal lip reduces contents coming out from the inside half of the opening.
· Storage Capacity: fits six AK mags / seven M4 mags; with ranger plates / rubber MagPul. A perfect balance with regard to storage capacity, weight, and the degree of swing / bouncing caused during movement.
· Dual vertical expansion pleats at the pouch body for further size expansion, perfect for larger or odd shaped objects.
· Heavy duty snap closure at the opening for closing the pouch. Long pull tag for easy un-snapping with one hand.
· Drainage grommet at the bottom for maritime ops.
· Color: Multicam, ACU, Black, Sewer Green, Coyoteish, Black, SDU Grey.
· Two short MALICE Clips (not included), fit MALICE / PALS / ALICE system, or 2” to 3” wide web belts.
here to see MM’s dump pouch write up at